Tuesday 3 December 2013

We're all going on a summer holiday.

For a few years Holly and I have been going on holiday with my Mum, Dad and Grandma. It works very well, Mum and Grandma can potter round the shops while Dad, Holly and I can go off and walk and explore. Unless that is there is a good second hand book shop. I discovered many years ago that good second hand bookshops usually let dogs in and Holly discovered that they often have a bowl of water and a supply of dog treats.

I have been taking Holly into shops and on public transport for her entire life so she knows the routine, knows what she can and cannot do and is frequently praised for being very well behaved. Often when out and about with my Dad we will pop into any bird hides that we pass to see what we can spot. I got quite used to the initial horror of the other occupants of the hide that I had brought a dog in with me, this always changed within a few minutes when they realised that she had gone under the bench and was taking the opportunity to have a quick nap and wasn't going to be a nusiance at all. If we stay for any length or time or if she has had a really good run earlier in the day she will sometimes start to snore which always causes great amusement.

This year we went to Whitby, we stayed in a house on the outskirts near a dog-friendly playing field and great views out of one side of the house over the Abbey, Church and, if you leaned out of the window across both the old and new towns. From the other side of the house we were looking out over the moors.

Holly loves the seaside but I was slightly concerned about how she would handle the beach and the sea. I needn't have worried. Early in the week Holly and I were dropped off at Sandsend, the plan was that she and I would hit the beach and if all went well walk back to Whitby. If not then the rest of the family would pick us up on their way back after going to a garden centre or craft shop or something similar. To get access to the dog part of the beach at Sandsend you go down a steep set of steps, as I was looking at these and wondering how I would get Holly in her wheels down them Holly had already taken a look, assessed them and set off down them with me now racing to catch up and keep up. Previously she had happily gone down short flights of shallow steps in her wheels, but this was long and steep. And apparently no problem at all.

When we got to the bottom of the steps I unclipped Hollys lead and stood for a moment waiting for my heartbeat to slow back down. A lady approached and I thought I was in for a long conversation, but all she said was "That was an impressive descent down the stairs, it's good to see your dog still enjoying herself. I won't stop and talk as I think you need to go catch up again." Holly had taken a few moments to orientate herself and work out how to manoeuvre on the sand and was now racing at full speed across the beach towards the sea. I thanked the lady for her comments and set off in hot pursuit.

I've always encouraged Holly to use her brain, and sometime soon I may write more about the advantages and disadvantages of that for you to laugh at. But this day was an advantage day. She used to head straight for the sea and dive in. Now she was in her wheels she stopped when she got to the edge and watched the waves for a few minutes before gently wading in. She continued to keep an eye on the waves all the time we were paddling and when she saw a large wave coming she either headed to shallower water or made sure she was head-on to the wave so it wouldn't roll her over. We had a lovely walk paddle all the way back to Whitby, the sun shone, we both paddled, Holly chased seagulls, chewed up bits of seaweed and did everything she normally does on the beach, except swim in the sea.

We had a great week, the weather was good and Holly explored woods and towns and enchanted everyone at Robin Hoods Bay when she raced down the hill, onto the beach and straight into a deep rock-pool. And then exhausted me when she set off back up the hill at a seriously fast pace and kept it up all the way to the top, I didn't want to disturb the momentum so had no option but to keep up. I felt we both earned the sandwiches and slice of cake when we got back up to the top of the hill.

 Holly ploughs into the sea



A 'pebble' that even Holly can't manage to run her wheels over



Debating going back for another paddle
and leaving interesting tracks on the sand



Out and about on the Cleveland Way

No comments: