Monday 9 December 2013

A little Olaf Moment

Olaf is a sweet kitty and very loving in his own special way.

As a kitten Olaf fell of a scratching post and landed on his head scrambling the contents and leaving him a little brain damaged. So it takes him a little time to learn new things and if you try to teach him too many new things too quickly he forgets something he learnt earlier.

It took him a long time before he would get up on the sofa, and even then he would usually jump down again after a minute or so. By the time he had been here a year or two he would happily sit on the sofa with other people and animals, providing he wasnt being touched.

Fast forward another year and he would now happily stay on the sofa with contact and even take a nap.

For many years he has stayed at that level and been happy. This summer he decided to try sitting on my knee. He has done it once or twice before of his own free will but never stayed more than a minute or two. But he tried it a few times before returning to his usual spot next to me with a paw resting on me to check I was still there.

In November he suddenly worked out that sitting on my knee was good. So he does, at every opportunity. And he stays there, all curled up and purring like an outboard motor. Now the idea is embedded in his head it's very hard to shift it, so every time I sit down he leaps up onto my knee. Not a problem if I am settling down to read or watch t.v. But he looks most put out if I lift him off again because I was sitting down to eat dinner or just sitting on the steps for long enough to tie my shoe laces (safer than bending over and risking another black-eye from Holly).

No comments: