Sunday 1 December 2013

The milestones come and go

Once more the cold and wet of Winter and Spring gradually turned into the warm of late spring and early summer. The number of miles we walked / wheeled continued to increase and before I knew where we were the milestones I had set had all been and gone!

Holly was still going. We were not walking quite as fast as we used to but she still knows when it's Saturday and wakes me up somewhere between 6 and 7am wittering and nagging constantly until we arrive at our walking destination. I think of it as the K9 equivalent of a small child on a car journey constantly asking "are we there yet?"

Her annual MOT at the vets comes round in May, this year she got a clean bill of health and the vet declined to make any predictions on time remaining. Her MOT was at just over 19 months post-diagnosis.

I started to think about a new set of milestones and wonder about how far into the future I should be making them. The decision was to set a milestone and then when we reached it make the next one based on her health at that time.

But looking ahead there were a few that I held in my mind as suitable. The first one was a weeks holiday at Whitby in June. After that there was the Great Yorkshire Show week in July that I always took off work, August Bank Holiday, Start of the new academic year in September and the 2 Years post-dianosis in October.

I had no idea how many we would get to set but we were just going to set off and take it one day and one mile at a time and see how many we could rack-up.

It was somewhere round about this time that I first had the idea of resurrecting the Blog I never wrote in to write down some of the experiences we had had so far. If you have read the start of this blog you will know it takes me another 6 months to get round to starting it.

No comments: