Wednesday 4 December 2013

It's too darn hot.

The second of the milestones (part 2) was the Great Yorkshire Show week in July. I usually take the week off work and Holly and I have a week of walking and exploring. On the day I go to the GYS she goes to my Mum and Dads.

This year it was hot.

Very hot.

A few weeks before it had started getting warmer and turning into a lovely summer, as the temperature increased the walks got earlier and later. By the time the week off in July arrived we had had to abandon the evening walk as it wasn't cooling down enough and by the end of the week it was too hot for Holly to walk comfortably at 5am so we spent most of that week lounging on a blanket in the garden in the shade.

I did work out that it was the pavements and roads that caused most of the heat problems. So walkies were not totally dropped. After some careful planning we found some walks where we could park very close to a wood or field where there were lots of non-tarmac paths to walk on. We still walked as early as possible, took plenty of water and kept them short. But we enjoyed them and met plenty of other dog walkers having exactly the same problems.

I describe Holly as an all weather, all terrain dog. Maybe I should put an exception of prolonged heat in there.

No comments: