Wednesday 30 April 2014

Living in the Crystal Maze

The Game Options for the Crystal Maze were Skill, Physical, Mental or Mystery. Life is currently feeling like a combination of these, only without the choice, without the chance of winning a crystal and definitely without any time in the crystal dome at the end of it all.

For Holly its a case of Physical vs Mental. Physically she is continuing to decline, I was away for a few days over Easter and she stayed with my Mum and Dad. When I came home the report was that she was happy enough but had not successfully gone on a walk in her wheels. They had tried but she had not been happy and had kept falling over so they just sling-walked her round their garden.

The problem is that Mentally she is still very alert and active and, occasionally, under the impression that she is still capable of long hikes over the moors. So on the Saturday after Easter I was very happy when she woke me up at 6.30 am to ask if it was time to go for a walk. She was enthusiastic and enjoyed the walk but as it was a combination of pavements and parks we kept it to just 3 miles. I think the problems she had had at my parents is that from their house it is uphill for the first third to half a mile.

I get all four.

I get to practice my Skill levels as I assist Holly walking around. Can I keep up with her high speed dash to the kitchen for breakfast? Can I avoid bashing my legs/knees/hips on various objects as she weaves in and out of them? Am I coordinated enough (especially first thing on a morning) to avoid Holly weeing on my foot when we have a trip round the garden?

Combined with the Skill is the Physical. I try to let Holly do as much as she can but there is still a certain amount of lifting, carrying, steadying and picking up when, despite my best efforts, she has fallen over.

Mental is probably the hardest of them all. Holly has always been very good at knowing how I feel and responding to it. So now my challenge is to try and stay happy and positive so that Holly stays happy and positive, because when she is happy she enjoys her walks more and is generally more energetic and enthusiastic.

The Mystery is how long? Will today be the day? I know there can't be much time left and I am keeping track of good and bad days. As I have stated before the bad days are getting more frequent but for now the good days are still winning.