Tuesday 7 January 2014

How to say walk without the word walk?

I've mentioned before that Holly is fairly intelligent and that I have always encouraged her to use her brain.

Most of the time this is great, however it does have some disadvantages.

If I fancy a bit of company on a walk I will phone a relative or friend and ask if they want to join us. Often the answer is yes but can we wait an hour or so while they finish whatever they are doing?

Holly listens to me when I talk to her (someone has to) and she quickly learnt the words walk and park, which meant I would have an over-excited dog for an hour while we waited for everyone else to be ready to go out.

So when she learnt the words "Walk" and "Walkies" I moved onto spelling it "W. A. L. K." that lasted a couple of months, so it was changed to "Going Out" and then to "O. U. T." We then progressed onto "Taking a Stroll" and "Stretch the legs".

It took a while for her to work out "A You Know What in the You Know Where" as meaning a walk in the park.

"Blow the cobwebs away" didn't last very long but "Perambulate" took almost 6 months.

As for where we go I had the same problems. "Park" was soon worked out as was "P. A. R. K." so we changed it to "Field" or "Recreation Ground" ("Rec" for short) then "The Place Opposite the School". The one that lasted the longest was a suggestion of my Dad's "Municipal Gardens"

As you might imagine, strangers sometimes wonder what on earth I am talking about when I say "We are going to Perambulate through the Municipal Gardens"

As a family we do quite a few crosswords which may explain some of the alternative ways of saying "Go for a Walk in the Park"