Wednesday 24 September 2014

The great debate

The photos and updates of the puppies continue to arrive and they really are gorgeous.

So working on the theory that there may be a puppy joining the menagerie in the late autumn I have started to check that I have all the non-perishable things I might need. Bedding & towels I have a plentiful supply of, the dog-gate and crate were returned by littlest sister when they moved house (they had borrowed them when they got a puppy a couple of years ago). And I have more pet toys than I know what to do with.

Last week I was passing a pet supply shop and just called in for a walk round. I gave in to temptation and bought an adjustable collar, just in case. My theory was that I liked it and it was a well made one that would do from coming home to at least half-grown if not almost fully grown. Plus I have no idea if I would be passing that shop again in the near future (it was 4 or more years since I last passed by it) and as they only had one in stock I had better buy it now.

Of course the big debate is, assuming that there is a new addition, what would it be called? I have always had great problems naming pets. Mono and Fluffy were easy, they came with their names and as they had had them for 8 years I thought it best to keep them. Holly took almost a week to come up with a name that I liked and Linus the best part of a month! Olaf was the quickest at 3 days.

So with the knowledge of past problems I have been thinking about potential names and making a shortlist, only its more of a long-list.

Sometime in the first few days after being asked about being on the reserve list a girls name popped into my head and eventually made it onto the piece of paper that I am using to keep track of potential names on. So far that is the only girls name to make it to the shortlist. For boys the list is currently at 11, there are four 'favourites' from the boys list but I regularly change my mind about the favourites. What I think will happen is that whatever I think I have chosen, as and when a new addition is due to come home, I will change my mind when I have spent some time with it.