Monday 15 September 2014

Roller-coaster of a Weekend

After pacing up and down on Thursday last week news of the puppies arrived at lunchtime. There was good news and devastating news.

The good news was that there were twelve healthy good-sized puppies, a nice mix of 7 girls and 5 boys.

The devastating news was that the breeder had lost Mum. She had managed to give them one feed but they were sorry for the lack of photos and updates but they were now bottle feeding every two hours.

Two weeks into a new job in the run up to the start of an academic year is not the time to ask for "this afternoon and tomorrow off" plus I had no idea if I would be a help or a hindrance. The last time I bottle fed anything was a good 5 plus years ago and my experience is mostly pet-lambs and the odd almost weaned kitten.

After what felt like a lifetime (3 days) of not really having the opportunity to spend any time online and when I did manage to read the updates it was through my phone so I could see that there were attachments but I could not view them, I had the chance today to re-read everything on a computer.

Some wonderful people did what I could not and dropped everything and went to provide assistance. A foster mum (a hairy godmother) has also been located, loaned, transported and has taken the pups on. Queue one deep sigh of relief. As worried as I had been about the pups I think I was more concerned for their breeder and her other half. I know how heart-breaking it is to loose a dog, or any much loved pet, but could not imagine how much harder it must be to loose one in these circumstances. To know they have support and help makes me feel much happier especially as I still had no idea what sensible and practical assistance I could have offered.

To finish on a positive note, the photos that have been sent show a dozen gorgeous chubby puppies eating, snoozing and snuggling with each other and their hairy godmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment