Saturday 21 June 2014

Summer Solstice 2014

One of the people I follow on Twitter is Gerard Baker, he also writes a blog when he is out and about in the world http://www.gerardbaker.com/

This year he is down in Antarctica with the British Survey over-wintering at the Halley Research Station. They are having mid-winter celebrations and he asked his Facebook followers to post photos of their mid-summer celebrations.

I wasn't really planning a party or anything special to celebrate the day but as it is a Saturday I thought I would do a short photo-documentary of the day's activities. A Penguin has been included for the mid-winter in the middle of summer. I am not sure what breed he is, he came from Grandways supermarket in Cottingham. Their Christmas 1991 promotion was to earn tokens as you shopped and then exchange them for Penguins. There was probably more penguins than students in the Halls of Residence that Christmas!

As I was studying Chemistry I thought he should have a chemical theme to his name, so I stuck a pin in the Periodic Table of Elements, it landed on Rh so he has been known as Rhodium ever since.

One year I will get up or stay up and watch the sun rise somewhere in the hills and dales on mid-summers day, but this was not the year.

After the usual Saturday morning routine of green grocery shopping and breakfast Holly was impatient to set off for the walk, as he only has little legs Rhodium hitched a ride in the bag of walking essentials (water, dog treats, waterproofs, maps etc)
 
It was a lovely walk along an old railway line, this was the view down the valley

Holly and Rhodium stopped to admire the view too


The Walk was over in Lancashire, but the drive there and back was over the tops and as it was a clear day there were some stunning views, so we stopped to admire them.


If you look over Rhodium's wing on the above picture you can just make out a small mast, that is Emly Moor Transmiter known locally as Emly Moor Mast. It is always an indication to me that I am not too far from home, I live about 15 miles away from it. Here is a zoomed in picture from the same spot. The power stations you can see to the left and right are the ones by the A1, we could see for miles and miles!


When we got home there were chores to do, Holly had a good laugh as Rhodium had a close encounter or two with the pegs and the washing.


This evening the sun and the blue skys vanished, the sky over my house looked more like Autumn than mid-summer!


But it was still warm and dry so we lit the barbecue and dined al-fresco.


I hope your mid-summer was as fun as ours was
Hannah, Holly & Rhodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment